One MORE thing women are jinxed with....INSOMNIA!
Here are some FACTS:
1. Insomnia is TWICE as common in women than in men
2. Women are more likely to experience more irritability, fatigue, headaches, and depression related to insomnia than men.
3. Over 50% of all women 40 years of age and older suffer from a sleeping disorder
4. The most common sleeping disorders in women include insomnia, obstructive sleep apnea, and restless leg syndrome
One reason sleep disorders worsen with age has a lot to do with HORMONE IMBALANCES that arise during perimenopause and into menopause.
1. Progesterone and estrogen deficiency contribute to the development of sleep apnea and insomnia.
2. Testosterone and DHEA deficiency have been associated with restless leg syndrome
3. Hormone imbalances also promote weight gain, and weight gain increases the risk of developing a sleep disturbance.
Since I know you all so well, I already know what your next question is going to be....HOW DO WE CORRECT SLEEP DISTURBANCES????
Well, you know me, "Dr. Why"....FIND AND FIX THE ROOT CAUSES OF THE PROBLEM....and, oh by the way....SLEEP DISTURBANCES ARE NEVER CAUSED BY A SLEEPING PILL DEFICIENCY!
In fact every single sleeping pill disrupts normal sleep architecture in some way....which is why they all have side effects of worsening daytime fatigue, "hangover" symptoms, depression, memory loss, and in the case of Ambien, hallucinations.
There are a number of supplements that may help to improve insomnia including magnesium, valerian, chamomile, lavender, GABA, Theanine, Melatonin, and others.
Just remember that no supplement will be completely helpful if the underlying cause(s) of insomnia are not identified and corrected!