Well, according the extensive research, there are HUNDREDS of causes besides SEROTONIN DEFICIENCY...
Here are the facts:
1. Only 10 to 15% of patients suffer from true MAJOR depression for which prescription anti-depressants are helpful.
2. The majority of MAJOR DEPRESSION is caused by HIGH CORTISOL LEVELS, not low serotonin levels.
3. Anti-depressant medications do not increase the production of serotonin and other neurotransmitters. They simply prevent the 'breakdown' or re-uptake at the nerve terminals.
4. Anti-depressant medications have been shown to be helpful in patients whose depression is caused by high cortisol because it helps prevent irreversible brain damage caused by chronically elevated cortisol levels.
SO WHAT ELSE CAUSES DEPRESSION (AND OTHER MOOD DISORDERS FOR THAT MATTER)???
1. Hormone deficiencies
2. Inadequate nutrition (you need amino acids and vitamins to make your neurotransmitters)
3. Unhealthy gut (your intestines absorb nutrients and make 95% of your serotonin)
4. Systemic inflammation
5. Chronic infections
6. Sleep deprivation
7. Prescription medications
...and the list goes on...
HOW DO YOU EFFECTIVELY TREAT DEPRESSION??
IDENTIFY AND TREAT THE UNDERLYING CAUSES BY WORKING WITH A QUALIFIED AND COMPETENT PHYSICIAN!
CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC....But then again, I like stirring the pot!!